So the quest for an undefeated preseason has come to an end. Seriously, it was a pretty sloppy effort all around, but we’re still 10 days from that mattering. Here’s a few post-game notes and quotes:
* Jose Theodore stopped 19 of 21 shots, and was perfect for 59:49 of this one. Two goals in 11 seconds — one on a tip-in and one thanks to some poor defensive coverage in front — were his only black marks.
* The power play was 0-for-5, generating three shots in 13 minutes of extra-man time. “The first time they practiced it was this morning,” Boudreau said. “When you have a lot of players, you don’t have that opportunity. We had a couple of chances in Chicago and we got no results, so we’ll start practicing that more.”
* Karl Alzner and Mike Green were on the ice for both of those goals. Green logged nearly 28 minutes, including more than 10 on the PP. “He was playing with Mike, so he did a lot of backing up,” Boudreau said of Alzner. “Mike likes to go. Those two hadn’t played together at all during the preseason so I think starting Wednesday we’ll start getting pairings [together] so they can start getting use to each other.”
* Keith Aucoin had the Caps’ lone goal. He centered the second line with Alexandre Giroux and Alexander Semin (though Mike Knuble and Semin flopped for most of the final period). “They’re telling me to keep going and get out there and work hard,” Aucoin said. “That’s what I’ve been doing at this level so I’m going to just keep workin hard and let the pieces fall where they may.”
* Alexander Ovechkin’s line for the night: nearly 27 minutes and five shots on net.
* Boudreau praised Jay Beagle, Chris Bourque and Sean Collins for their work.
* Jeff Schultz isn’t typically a stat-stuffer, but he had three shots on net, four hits and two blocked shots in 18:12.
* Finally, the line of the night comes from Andrew Gordon. I don’t really have any setup for this quote: “I don’t think there is any insurmountable lead these guys are going to give up this season,” Andrew Gordon said. “Look at my first NHL game [the 5-4 win at MSG in December]. We were down 4-cobb after about two periods and ended up coming back and winning a big one in overtime.”