The Redskins concluded the second of three sets of OTAs today. They return Monday for four sessions and then the players are off until the July 29 reporting date.
* The team announced eight training camp practices will be open to the public (all at 8:30 a.m.): July 30-31, Aug. 1-2, 4-6. On Aug. 9 is an intra-squad scrimmage/fan appreciation day that starts around 1:20 p.m. (editor’s note: get there early)
* Coach Jim Zorn said he’s giving receiver James Thrash time to see if the bulging disk in his neck responds to non-surgical treatments. Thrash could end up retiring.
“He’s come along and then had setbacks once he’s started the rigors of the off-season program,” Zorn said. “He’s backed off again and trying to get that all together. He’s as disappointed as anybody. I don’t know where it’s going to end up yet but he’s certainly good enough for us to wait and see.
Before training camp, something will have to give. But I’m not going to make any decision until then.”
* Zorn expects linebacker London Fletcher and fullback Mike Sellers to be present next week. Sellers returned Tuesday and Fletcher Wednesday.
“I fully expect them to be here,” Zorn said. “Each one of those guys have their plan and they’re working their plan. Talking to London, he planned on being back and planned on participating. The thing that I was excited about, both those guys got right into it and started practicing hard. They had a lot of recall.”
* Safety LaRon Landry remains the only player on the 85-man roster who’s healthy but not present. Zorn has tried to call Landry but his only contact has been via text messages.
“LaRon is working his plan as well,” Zorn said. “It’s disappointing to his teammates as well. But he’s going to be ready. I fully expect him to be ready for training camp, go hard and have a great year. I’m not as concerned about him missing [OTAs] as being a part of what his teammates are doing and the kind of stuff we’re trying to implement. He’s going to be set back a little bit because of a new concept here or there but he’s a tremendous athlete and he’ll be a good teammate.”
* Receiver Malcolm Kelly made it through all four practices but was limited as a precaution today. “He’s practiced hard and been explosive every day,” Zorn said. “He’s learning some of the elementary things that had he been able to go the whole year [last season], he would have down as second nature. The best thing for us is that he participated every day. We want to be smart with what he’s doing. He’ll be practicing next week as he was this week.”
* Zorn has been pleased with tempo of the offense during the sessions.
“Last year at this time I used the word ‘slow’ — I know I used it,” he said. “This year, we’re so much further along. The guys that have been here immediately know what to do when they line up and they’re using much better thought process, they’re using their speed and using their brain as they go down the field. Our quarterbacks understand the rhythm and tempo we want. Things are moving right along. We’re not there yet but it’s night and day, no question.”
- Ryan O’Halloran