- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A New York City man says Donald Trump called him personally after his 12-foot tribute to the Republican presidential nominee was set ablaze in his front yard over the weekend.

Sam Pirozzolo said Mr. Trump called his cell phone around 4 p.m. Monday, saying, “This is Donald Trump. I saw what happened all over the news. I appreciate everything you are doing,” The New York Post reported.

“It’s horrible what happened to you. I hope you and your family are safe,” he said Mr. Trump told him.

Mr. Pirozzolo said the phone call came while he and conservative Staten Island artist Scott LoBaido, who created the giant red, white and blue “T” for Trump, were waiting to do a TV interview.

Mr. LoBaido said he told Mr. Trump that they planned on erecting another tribute that’s going to be even bigger.

“He got a chuckle from that,” Mr. LoBaido told The Post. “He basically called to say how proud he was of us and how much he loves Staten Island. He said, ‘You guys out there on Staten Island have my back.’ “

Mr. Pirozzolo said he and his family were asleep about 1 a.m. Sunday when neighbors knocked on his door to tell him the giant T was on fire in front of his Staten Island home.

The tribute had been doused with gasoline, according to fire officials. Both the NYPD and FDNY are investigating the incident as arson, The Post reported.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide