- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
NHL Team Capsules
Question of the Day
ADDED: LW Nikita Filatov, G Alex Auld, C Zenon Konopka.
LOST: G Curtis McElhinney, RW Ryan Shannon, D David Hale, G Pascal Leclaire, RW Marek Svatos.
PLAYER TO WATCH: Jason Spezza. The center led the disappointing Senators with 21 goals and 57 points despite missing 20 games because of injury. If he can remain healthy, the mix of youngsters and veterans could help Ottawa shake off a 13-place finish in the East and challenge for a playoff spot.
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
LAST SEASON: 46-25-11, 103 points. Lost to Boston 4-3 in conference finals.
COACH: Guy Boucher, 2nd season with Lightning, 46-25-11; 2nd overall in NHL.
ADDED: D Bruno Gervais, G Mathieu Garon, RW Michel Ouellet, D Matt Gilroy, C Tom Pyatt, RW Ryan Shannon.
LOST: LW Sean Bergenheim, D Randy Jones, LW Simon Gagne, G Mike Smith, D Mike Lundin, G Cedrick Desjardins, D Matt Smaby.
PLAYER TO WATCH: Steven Stamkos. Nearly won his second straight goal scoring title, but dipped to 45 (just 14 in the second half) after netting 51 in the 2009-10 season and had to settle for second. At 21 and three seasons under him, Stamkos might now be the NHL’s most dynamic goal scorer with 119 in 243 career games.
LAST SEASON: 40-31-11, 91 points. Out of playoffs.
COACH: Paul Maurice, 13th season with Hurricanes/Whalers franchise, 376-378-141 (including 1995-2004); 15th overall, 452-444-163 in NHL.
ADDED: G Brian Boucher, C Tim Brent, LW Alexei Ponikarovsky, RW Anthony Stewart, D Tomas Kaberle.
LOST: LW Erik Cole, D Joe Corvo, D Bryan Rodney, LW Cory Stillman.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world