- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sic-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
- Berkshire County eschews greenback for own currency — BerkShares
- Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
NHL Team Capsules
ADDED: LW Rostislav Olesz, D Steve Montador, LW Andrew Brunette, RW Jamal Mayers, C Brett McLean, D Sean O’Donnell, LW Dan Carcillo, D Sami Lepisto.
LOST: LW Troy Brouwer, D Brian Campbell, C Tomas Kopecky, C Jake Dowell, D Chris Campoli, D Jassen Cullimore, C Ryan Johnson, D Jordan Hendry, RW Fernando Pisani, G Marty Turco.
PLAYERS TO WATCH: Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. The duo combined for 59 goals and 90 assists. They might have to fill the net more, along with Patrick Sharp, who is expected to return in early October from an appendectomy, to get Chicago back to an elite level. Kane should be ready for the start of the season after having wrist surgery in July.
ST. LOUIS BLUES
LAST SEASON: 38-33-11, 87 points. Out of playoffs.
COACH: Davis Payne, 3rd season with Blues, 61-48-15; 3rd overall in NHL.
ADDED: C Evgeny Grachev, G Brian Elliott, D Kent Huskins, LW Brett Sterling, C Scott Nichol, C Jason Arnott, RW Jamie Langenbrunner, RW Jonathan Cheechoo, D Danny Syvret.
LOST: G Ty Conklin, D Nathan Oystrick, RW Cam Janssen.
PLAYER TO WATCH: David Backes. The 27-year-old forward is taking over as captain from Eric Brewer after putting up a season with team-highs of 31 goals, 31 assists, and a plus-32 rating.
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
LAST SEASON: 34-35-13, 81 points. Out of playoffs.
COACH: Scott Arniel, 2nd season with Blue Jackets, 34-35-13; 2nd overall in NHL.
ADDED: C Jeff Carter, D James Wisniewski, G Mark Dekanich, G Curtis Sanford, LW Alexander Giroux, D Aaron Johnson, D Radek Martinek, C Vinny Prospal.
LOST: RW Jakub Voracek, LW Scottie Upshall, D Jan Hejda, D Mike Commodore, G Mathieu Garon, C Kyle Wilson, LW Nikita Filatov, D Sami Lepisto, C Andrew Murray, LW Ethan Moreau, RW Chris Clark, D Anton Stralman, D Craig Rivet.
PLAYER TO WATCH: Carter. After his stunning trade from Philadelphia to Columbus, Carter - who led the Flyers with 46 goals last season - will be counted on to take some of the scoring load off of stalwart captain Rick Nash.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Never apologetic. Never afraid. Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West joins Communities to bring tales from the biggest Foxhole of them all, the one inside the Beltway.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow