- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Topic - Jonathan B. Jarvis
The National Park Service has officially withdrawn a controversial document objecting to fracking, scrubbing the record and acknowledging that it broke its own rules on sticking to strict science in its zeal to pressure a fellow federal agency.
The National Park Service director told Congress on Wednesday that he had to shut down the open-air memorials on the Mall during the government shutdown because of terrorism, saying that closing them was the only way to protect them "in a post-9/11 world."
House lawmakers will get a chance Wednesday to grill the National Park Service about its decision to barricade the World War II Memorial and iconic national parks, including the Grand Canyon, at the beginning of the government shutdown — though they had to subpoena the Park Service director to get him to attend.
The head of the National Park Service said Tuesday that parks should take down any signs blaming service cuts on the budget sequesters, saying he thought that was inappropriate.
Occupy D.C. protesters are one warning away from a National Park Service crackdown, officials said during Tuesday's House oversight committee meeting on the decision-making process behind the handling of the protesters.
National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis announced the grants Thursday.
"I have requested that the comments be withdrawn from the record," Mr. Jarvis said in the letter, dated earlier this month, in which he said nobody "from management" at the agency or at the White House Office of Management and Budget ever reviewed the document before it was submitted.