The Washington Times - September 19, 2012, 09:31AM

ANNAPOLIS —- Taking note of a few developments from Navy’s Tuesday practice. …

* Junior cornerback Jonathan Wev wore a green non-contact jersey but practiced with the first team Saturday, a sign he could return from a Sept. 1 concussion.


“I think so,” coach Ken Niumatalolo said. “Every day, he’s been going through his noncontact protocol [for] a concussion, making sure he doesn’t have any headaches afterward. The big part of it is Doc [Jeff Fair] will have to check him afterward and see how he feels, if he has headaches or any other symptoms. If he’s headache-free, he might be able to play Saturday.”

Wev missed Saturday’s loss at Penn State. Freshman Quincy Adams started in his place.

* Sophomore linebacker Chris Johnson was on the sideline Tuesday after recent left knee surgery. He tore an anterior cruciate ligament during camp and will miss the season.

Johnson was atop the depth chart at outside linebacker when his injury occurred.

“It’s going to be a while,” Niumatalolo said. “The kid’s working hard right now. He’s a great kid. I wish he could have played this year. Right now, we’re just waiting for him for next year.”

And as for whether Johnson could wind up with a rare fifth year at the academy?

“We’d like to if we could,” Niumatalolo said. “A lot of it, we have to check with the powers that be and academics and admissions and everyone to see if that’s feasible. But we’d like to. He’s OK with it, I think. Some guys would want to play that extra year. Some guys want to just move on. Some guys want to start their five-year clock. Right now, he’s OK with it.”

* Navy conducted a full practice in Halsey Field House for the first time. The Mids had used Wesley Brown Field House in recent years, but the academy put down a field turf surface so that football, lacrosse and baseball could all use Halsey instead.

The early observations: There’s enough area to run something resembling a full practice, and the turf itself is solid. Perhaps the most obvious minus was netting near the ceiling that wound up making punting a bit impractical, with a half-dozen or so balls that got stuck as evidence of the minor shortcoming.

—- Patrick Stevens