Everybody gives the Capitals grief for not taking care of business on their home ice – and rightfully so. But they’re hardly the only team that’s had trouble in that area. Consider the Penguins, who could have closed out the Lightning at Consol Energy Center on Saturday but instead took it on the chin, 8-2. That’s the fifth time in the last three years the Pens have blown a chance to finish off a playoff opponent at home.
Why hasn’t more been made of this? Well, for one thing, Pittsburgh wound up winning three of the other four series. The details:
● 2009 (first round): Up 3-1 on the Flyers. Lost at home in Game 5, 3-0. Series result: Penguins in 6.
● 2009 (second round): Up 3-2 on the Caps. Lost at home in Game 6, 5-4 (OT). Series result: Penguins in 7.
● 2010 (first round): Up 3-1 on the Senators. Lost at home in Game 5, 4-3 (3OT). Series result: Penguins in 6.
● 2010 (second round): Tied 3-3 with the Canadiens. Lost at home in Game 7, 5-2. Series result: Canadiens in 7.
● 2011 (first round): Up 3-1 on the Lightning. Lost at home in Game 5, 8-2. Series result: ?????
Just thought you might want to know.