The veteran members of the Washington Capitals are on the ice now (as they will be each day this week in the afternoon) but today was the first day of Rookie Camp, and here are a few notes from the day:
* Joe Finley left the workout with a lower-body injury. Bruce Boudreau said he liked what Finley was showing in his first day as a full-time forward, and hopes to have him back sometime this week.
* Stefan Della Rovere didn’t go on the ice at all. He was injured in an informal junior game last week. Boudreau said they are just being cautious with the gritty forward.
* Semyon Varlamov skated with the rookies and Michal Neuvirth is on the ice now. Tomorrow they will switch. Varlamov spent a lot of time on the ice talking to new goalie coach Arturs Irbe. Boudreau was impressed with Varlamov’s improved grasp of the English language, but the Russian goalie said he still isn’t comfortable doing interviews.
* Plenty more love for John Carlson after the workout. Check the paper tomorrow for a story on him. He’s probably a longshot to make the Caps roster barring injuries/trades, but that’s not going to stop him from trying.
* For what it’s worth (and the answer is not much unless they stick together all week), here were some line combos from the workout:
Finley-Hauswirth- B. Boudreau/A. Boudreau
* Bruce Boudreau said both of his kids are still pursuing professional careers. Ben has signed with Dayton of the IHL and Andy has a deal with Mississippi of the SPHL. Ben spent some time with South Carolina last year and was in camp with Hershey. Andy spent much of the year rehabbing a knee injury he suffered the first day of development camp last summer.
The coach said he neeeded a 12th guy to fill out the forwards and he wanted a safeguard in case one or the other couldn’t make it through the workout (honestly, they looked to be in better shape than some of the prospects).