Skip to content
Advertisement

Topic - Allegheny County Jail

The old Allegheny County Jail located in the 400 block of Ross Street in downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was built in 1886. The courthouse and jail were designed by Henry Hobson Richardson. In 1884, the construction of the buildings was begun by the Norcross Brothers, Richardson's construction firm of choice. The jail portion of the complex was completed in 1886, the year of Richardson's death, and the entire courthouse was finished in 1886 by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, Richardson's successor firm. Additions to the jail were added by Frederick J. Osterling from 1903 to 1905. The old jail was added to the List of City of Pittsburgh historic designations on December 26, 1972. The building now houses the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas Family Division. - Source: Wikipedia

Related Stories