Time for another week of picks from around the ACC, though Nick Saban would no doubt disapprove of such a venture …
* Maryland at Temple (Noon, ESPNU): Owls 23-14. Needless to say, the Terrapins’ debut did not exactly hint at immediate greatness. Temple lost plenty from last year, when it throttled Maryland 38-7 in College Park, but it can still run effectively and will face a team that managed only 235 yards and still has a developing freshman quarterback. Points could again be hard to come by for the Terps.
* Miami at Kansas State (Noon, FX): Wildcats 35-27. The Hurricanes showed some life in outlasting Boston College last week. Their defense will be tested even more by K-State’s Collin Klein, who rushed for 27 touchdowns a season ago.
* N.C. State at Connecticut (Noon, Big East Network/MASN): Wolfpack 31-24. The single most interesting part of this will be to see if the Huskies attack N.C. State cornerback David Amerson, who was torched in a season-opening loss to Tennessee. Expect a Wolfpack bounceback, even if it’s not especially comfortable.
* Penn State at Virginia (Noon, ABC): Cavaliers 21-17. The ceaseless scrutiny of Penn State hits the road and lands in Charlottesville, where Virginia could use a 2-0 start with Georgia Tech and Texas Christian looming over the next two weeks.
* Ball State at Clemson (12:30, ACC Network): Tigers 38-13. Clemson probably won’t need to rely on Andre Ellington quite so much this week, though he and the pitch-and-catch combo of Tajh Boyd and DeAndre Hopkins will allow the Tigers to survive the two-game absence of Sammy Watkins just fine.
* Maine at Boston College (1, ESPN3): Eagles 45-14. This is the season opener for the Black Bears, while the Eagles offered up one of their more impressive offensive performances in the post-Matt Ryan years.
* Austin Peay at Virginia Tech (1:30, ESPN3): Hokies 41-7. This will not be a redux of Virginia Tech’s Week 2 loss to James Madison in 2010. The Governors are coming off a 49-10 setback at Western Kentucky,
* North Carolina at Wake Forest (3, CSN): Tar Heels 28-21. Sure, Carolina blitzed Elon last week while Wake struggled to fend off Liberty. Despite that, here’s guessing the conference opener for both teams is closer.
* Savannah State at Florida State (6, ESPN3): Seminoles 63-0. Remember, Savannah State lost 84-0 at Oklahoma State last week.
* Presbyterian at Georgia Tech (7, ESPN3): Yellow Jackets 52-7. Moving along …
* Duke at Stanford (10:30, Pac-12 Network Bay Area): Cardinal 31-20. The post-Andrew Luck era began in harrowing fashion last week for Stanford, while Duke impressed in its defeat of Florida International. Still, the combination of the remaining talent in Palo Alto and the frequent difficulty of handling a trek west leave this one leaning toward the Cardinal.
Picks changed from preseason: Maryland-Temple, Penn State-Virginia, North Carolina-Wake Forest
Week 1 record: 9-2 (1-1 conference)
ACC record: 8-2 (1-1 conference)
Preseason ACC record: 8-2 (1-1 conference)
Navy record: 1-0
—- Patrick Stevens