PINEHURST, N.C. —- ACC commissioner John Swofford spent much of his session Sunday at his conference’s football kickoff talking about the state of the game. More on that later in the day.
And as for his league? There was an observation that’s been clear for some time.
“Obviously, we need to win more of our high-profile games against non-conference opponents,” Swofford said. “That’s the one thing we haven’t done enough of in recent years. We’ve had some of it, but not enough of it. For us to gain the kind of respect we want for Atlantic Coast Conference football, those are the kind of games we need to win going forward.”
As for 10 games that would qualify. Here’s one list:
1. Oklahoma at Florida State, Sept. 17
2. Clemson at South Carolina, Nov. 26
3. Florida State at Florida, Nov. 26
4. Maryland vs. Notre Dame, Nov. 12
5. Georgia at Georgia Tech, Nov. 26
6. Ohio State at Miami, Sept. 17
7. Auburn at Clemson, Sept. 27
8. Boston College at Notre Dame, Nov. 19
9. West Virginia at Maryland, Sept. 17
10. Miami at South Florida, Nov. 19
—- Patrick Stevens