Navy’s first revised depth chart of preseason camp was released Monday night.
The biggest change doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Casey Bolena, previously a backup to Matt Aiken, is now listed as a starter. John O’Boyle is listed as Bolena’s backup, while Shawn Lynch is the top reserve behind Aiken.
Bolena had four receptions for 53 yards last season. O’Boyle, a converted slotback, had a 2-yard reception last season. Lynch switched from safety to wide receiver in the spring.
Before last week, Brandon Turner occupied the starting spot opposite Aiken. Turner failed a conditioning test and will not rejoin the Mids until Aug. 20 at the earliest.
Here’s a full rundown of the rest of the changes, with comments sprinkled throughout …
No. 3 NOSE GUARD: Bernard Sarra replaces A.J. Barnaby
* The 6-foot-1, 290-pound freshman has apparently made a solid first impression
No. 3 OUTSIDE LINEBACKER: A.K. Akpunku replaces Carrington Lewis
* Akpunku is another freshman to slide onto the three-deep within a week.
TACKLE: Ryan Paulson top backup at both tackle spots, Collin Watkins No. 3 at both tackle spots
* Departing the depth chart are senior Evan Campbell (left tackle) and junior Sam Womack (right tackle)
No. 3 RIGHT GUARD: E.K. Binns replaces Austin Marshall
* When a freshman offensive line finds his way onto Navy’s three-deep within a week, it’s noteworthy. Scribble down Binns as a promising long-term possibility.
No. 3 FULLBACK: Maika Polamalu replaces Quinton Singleton
* Polamalu, it appears, is fully healthy after suffering an injury during spring practice
No. 2 PUNTER: Gavin Jernigan replaces Justin Haan
* Jernigan is a plebe. Haan is returning from a mission. Sophomore Pablo Beltran has a solid grip on the starting job
KICKOFF SPECIALIST: Brynmor Hughes listed as the starter over Stephen Picchini
* This wasn’t included on the depth chart distributed on the first day of camp.
—- Patrick Stevens